The Parasol Room was packed at the Loraine Morton Civic Center for our April 2 Climate Change Legislation Forum. Thank you to our featured speakers, and the 75 attendees including our members and organizations such as Citizens' Climate Lobby, Climate Reality Project, League of Women Voters and Citizens Greener Evanston!
Mike Zanillo, Illinois State Coordinator for Citizen's Climate Lobby explained the concept of carbon pricing and provided details on the HR 763 Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act - our very own Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky is a co-sponsor. Our expert panelists spoke to Climate Change Legislationfrom their organization’s perspective. We learned the latest about the Green New Deal and upcoming Carbon Pricing legislation and actions we can take to support this bipartisan initiative.
THANK YOU TO OUR PANEL SPEAKERS:
* Cam Davis: Commissioner, Metropolitan Water Reclamation District.
* Eleanor Revelle: Alderman, City of Evanston; League of Women Voters of the U.S., Climate Change Task Force.
* Mike Zanillo: Citizens Climate Lobby - Illinois State Co-Coordinator.
* Jennifer Linton: Chair, The Climate Reality Project - Chicago, IL Chapter.
* Regina Gomez, MD: League of Women Voters, Arlington Heights-Buffalo Grove-Mount Prospect, Environmental Issues Specialist.
As Congressman Sean Casten, a chemical engineer, clean energy entrepreneur and newly elected to the Select Committee on Climate Crisis and is Co-Chair of the Democratic Climate Task Force says:
"What we need TODAY, what we need right NOW is to pass laws that drastically reduce carbon emission, not talk about laws, not talk about policies, which means we need to figure out what we can get done politically"
ACTION STEP - here's how you can help: Weekly email campaign to Senators Duckworth & Durbin asking for their support on the HR 763 Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act. It's essential that we act now to reduce carbon emissions.
1. Click link: Citizens' Climate Lobby - Write Your Representative
2. Fill in your name, zip code and email address (email address required so Senators Duckworth, Durbin & Rep. Jan Schakowsky can reply back to you
3. Select the emails that pop up for Senators Duckworth/Durbin asking for their support for HR 763; elect the email thanking Rep. Schakowsky for her support. Customize if you like by adding you're an Indivisible Evanston member. ***IT TAKES 1 MINUTE***
COULDN'T ATTEND? Check out our Facebook page to see the livestream!