THE VICTORY ISN'T THE ELECTION...
IT'S THE LEGISLATION!
THIS ELECTION YEAR IS LIKE NO OTHER. BUT EVEN THOUGH WE CAN'T REACH VOTERS IN PERSON, THERE ARE PLENTY OF THINGS YOU CAN DO TO TAKE ACTION AND STAY SAFE.
YOU CAN TAKE ACTION AT HOME
2021 PRIORITIES: ACTION STEPS
We defeated Donald Trump and his cronies. We won in Georgia and demoted Mitch McConnell. Now we have a short window to repair our democracy.
The victory isn’t the election, it’s the legislation. A representative democracy is within our reach—but we must demand it. If our leaders succeed, it will be because we supported and pushed them. We have the power, we have the opportunity, it’s up to us, and the time is now.
Here's what we can do next to enact the kind of structural reforms that will put power in the hands of the people:
First, read the 2021 guide: What our legacy will be depends on what we do right now in this very moment. Our new guide provides a blueprint for saving our democracy (including a timeline for making the most of these crucial first 100 days).
FIND THE GUIDE HERE: Indivisible Blueprint 2021
Then: Five actions we can take next to enact the kind of structural reforms that will put power in the hands of the people. See what you can do at the links - Indivisible has an easy tool we can use to call our representatives.
1. Make DC the 51st state. H.R. 51, which would make DC the 51st state, was passed by House Democrats last year and has overwhelming support from Senate Dems. We should also give self-determination to Puerto Rico & other US territories.
TAKE ACTION HERE TO CALL YOUR REPS: Enact H.R. 51.
2. Reform and bring balance to the federal courts. Trump appointed 1/4 of the entire federal judiciary to lifetime appointments. We should expand the Supreme Court and the lower courts, impose term limits for SCOTUS justices, and bolster ethics and transparency requirements.
3. Eliminate the filibuster and let the Senate legislate. Just as McConnell got rid of the filibuster for SCOTUS nominees to confirm Gorsuch, Democrats can get rid of the legislative filibuster with a simple majority. We need to end McConnell’s veto.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE FILIBUSTER & DEMAND OUR DEMOCRATIC SENATORS GET RID OF IT: Eliminate the filibuster.
4. Enact the For the People Act, H.R. 1 -- House Democrats passed H.R. 1 - legislation that would get money out of politics, expand voting rights, combat corruption, secure our elections and more.
TAKE ACTION HERE TO CALL YOUR REPS: Enact H.R. 1.
5. Secure the John Lewis Voting Rights Act. H.R. 4, which would restore full protections of the 1965 Voting Rights Act, after parts of it were invalidated by the Supreme Court in 2013. It was passed by House Democrats in 2019.
TAKE ACTION HERE TO CALL YOUR REPS: Enact H.R. 4.
May 11 INDIVISIBLE EVANSTON VIRTUAL MEETING
Hope to see you on zoom May 11!
Tuesday, May 11, 2021, 7 - 9pm
Indivisible Evanston Virtual Meeting
Panelist Topic: Increasing Democratic Voter Turnout: Reaching Under-represented Voters
Stephanie Mendoza - Evanston City Clerk
Alex Morgan - Progressive Turnout Project
Haley Dudzinski - Student Coordinator, NU Votes
**Meeting Registration, Confirmation & Question Submission **
Register in advance for our meeting below.
Question Submission: If you have questions for the speakers, we urge you submit them at the link. You may also ask questions at the meeting using the zoom chat feature. We will prioritize questions that are submitted in advance, but due to time constraints, we may not get to all the questions in the chat.
INDIVISIBLE EVANSTON BOOK CLUB
Indivisible Evanston Book Club Discussion: "Good and Mad: The Revolutionary Power Of Women's Anger"
April 28: 7-9PM on Zoom
Join us on Wednesday, April 28 at 7pm for Indivisible Evanston's Book Group!
Our next selection is "Good And Mad: The Revolutionary Power of Women's Anger," by Rebecca Traister.
We will meet on April 28 for a discussion moderated by Laura Tanner, IE Co-Leader and Book Group Leader.